Monday, August 17, 2009

Out & About

Beginning with a rainy trip to the library, our Monday began! Loading home a new bundle of books, Student couldn't wait to open this book about many of her favorite things:
Sewing
Royalty
Art

Today was Student's first lesson for the Fall semester of violin. Just seeing her with her instructor gave me new hopes for our home practices. And, new ideas for practices were discussed, and I can't wait to try them out! One involves a birthday candle... we'll see what Student thinks of this one!

Squeezing in 2 History lessons today, Student learned of the Patriarchs Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. We had the opportunity to relate their lives to eachother through a family tree, and use a map to track their travels throughout their lives. Any map brings the life out in her eyes. Making them or reading them, this part of Geography is a favorite.

Student got right to work making our family tree, and she didn't want to stop at 3 generations! But, it was such a sad realization to me, about this fallen world and divorce. Family trees aren't what they used to be. But, she has our family pretty much figured out, and said she would like to try again, sometime. Going further back into the family, that is.

Math was continuing with place values, and counting to 200. Her seatwork was a little on the easy side, today. But no complaints from Student!

Phonics was a breeze today, as well. Some review on paper, and off we went to read!

We made time to read aloud first, and then Student sat next to me under the tree in the shade and listened to this book: The Princess Gown.

Student: The dress was very pretty. I don't know how it was illustrated the same every time, until the stain came and they put the embroidery on it. I like how they spelled the title. I really wish that I had that gown. I like the pearls on it.

Hanna was an artist like her dad. It reminded me of me, b/c my dad is an artist and I am an artist, too!

Followers